9.1.11

Cry Me A River



So this post is more of a "mommy help" post than my usual random thoughts...

I absolutely, completely, irrevocably, adore my little girl... but I have an issue. She cries over EVERYTHING! And what I want to know is... is it a phase, or are girls just THIS emotional? She is the sweetest most thoughtful and caring little girl, but if she gets the slightest bit frustrated, she starts to cry.

I really am trying to be empathetic and understanding, but this one is really hard for me. I almost never cry (pregnancy throws that statement out the window though) so it's hard for me to relate. At first I would sweetly talk to her and help her work through whatever was upsetting her, and now I'm not mean or heartless about it, but I do try to explain to her that it's not something we need to cry about, and remind her that she's good at solving problems and then ask her what she thinks she should do.

What about you guys? Anyone have this issue? Anyone have any insight? By telling her it's nothing to cry about, am I being mean or negating her feelings? I mean... today Nixon disagreed with her and she about started to ball... is that normal?

Any moms out there willing to share their experience or knowledge?

3 comments:

Sandra said...

My Ella is like this too - but in my case, she DOES get it from me (I'm a huge crybaby, and always have been!)

Like you I try to be understanding, give her comfort, but also ask her to tell me in her words why she is feeling upset. If she is being unreasonable and crying and wailing about simple little things for longer than a minute, I sometimes do give her a time out - except it's not technically a 'time out', it's more like a 'break'. She will sit in a chair in her room, and I tell her she can come and play again when she is ready to be happy. Then I try to talk with her about it afterwards.

Baker Family said...

Elle is the same way and they she turns something so tiny as being told "no" into something HUGE and takes 30-45 min. to forget the entire thing and move on....I HOPE ITS A STAGE!!! If you get any advice I can't wait to hear it. Girls! haha. (and I have 2 of them!!! haha)

Sarah B said...

oh no! i remember my mom telling me that "we cry when we are hurt, or sad but that's it". Then she would tell us that if we wanted to scream and cry as loud as we wanted, we could go in the car and do it. hahaha. "sound" advice I think that I'll use on my kids? pun intended! :) good luck!!