26.3.09

To Play or Not to Play?

Ok, so I'm opening this up to all my blog readers out there (if there are any of you left since I've been a less than faithful blogger)... To play... or Not to play?! That is the question!
So, I'm debating over Playing Women's Rugby this Year... Should I? Shouldn't I? I've devised a list of pro's and con's of sorts:

Why I should Play:
  1. I absolutely LOVE this sport! I played in High School, was team Captain and then I coached the most amazing girls in Raymond. Seriously some of the highlights of my life!
  2. Great fitness & lots of fresh air
  3. Practices are only 2x a week with games on Saturdays
  4. I think it would be wonderful (and soo much fun) for my kids to come out to my games and cheer me on! What a fun family outing!
  5. Great opportunity to meet some new friends
  6. Who knows when I can play again, for all I know I could be pregnant next year, and then when kids get busy with school & extra-curricular activities, time will be precious.
  7. Practices are in the evenings so kids will be in bed or on their way to bed... won't be missing all that much...

Why I shouldn't Play:
  1. I could get injured -(not really a concern of mine, but it's on here for Nick's sake... one of his arguments)
  2. The season lasts all summer, and with games on Saturdays, there goes Waterton trips and spontaneous Summer fun like camping and weekend expeditions.
  3. That's 2 nights a week I'm away from the fam (Nick) & most, if not all our Saturdays are planned for us
  4. It will cost $300 for the team fees, plus I'll need new shorts and cleats... (money that could go to other fun stuff)
  5. We have a reunion in Utah so I'd most likely have to miss games for that
  6. Away games could be out of town -ie hotels... away from fam... (there's a pre-season tourney in April)
  7. I'm teeny, there are some butch girls out there! I could get squashed!
  8. I'm really trying to get my business up off the ground, it could interfere/take away my time.
  9. We were planning to spend lots of time at our cabin in Waterton with friends and fam and possibly get a boat with Nick's brother. (not for use in Waterton... tooo cold!)
Ok, so there's my list of pros & cons... and I'm still nowhere close to making a decision. I love the sport, but that's a big commitment... it's only one summer, but it's a whole summer! What do I do? Maybe I should take it to the man upstairs. What do you think my faithful blog followers? To Play? or Not to Play?

6 comments:

Ashley said...

If it were me, I would totally do it! When are you going to have the opportunity to do this again? Just me... Good luck with your decision!

Anonymous said...

do what makes you the happiest-if you need this in your life go for it- annddd- I'll make sure we camp in my backyard- oh and the butch girls thing made me die laughing- always have a meee- I can't get the karate kick out of my head.

Scrumhalf Connection said...

I agree! Do what makes you the most happy...if rugby makes your skin tingle at the thought of it...do it.

If it brings fear into your heart, maybe its time to be a coach, administrator or give back to the game in another way?

Baker Family said...

What a tough decision..Good luck! Camping, boating, swimming, and Waterton all sound so nice right now. I am so ready for the snow to be gone!!!

Anonymous said...

your meee has a laptop! How did you get more points I HEART IT!

Josh Lockhart said...

I'd play.